How To: German Duty
All Fields with (*) are mandatory and must be filled to complete the associated page.
*All warehouses that store dutiable items will need to have a form filled out.
*Plato Value is used in the Duty Audit as a determining field when finding areas of duty.
*Bulk Update and Import - All of the information needed on these Products, Outlets and Materials can also be bulk updated through Administration - Import - New Bulk Data Update/New Data Import. Please use this link if you need assistance on updating data through imports: How to Bulk Update Data
To set up your German Duty to be calculated correctly, 3 categories must be filled in. Materials is an additional category if you need to charge duty on these too.
- Stock Location
- Materials (if applicable)
- Go to Administration - Settings - Products - Stock Locations.
- Click New Stock Location.
- Toggle if the location is Taxed.
- Input the Tax Warehouse Number if the location is Taxed.
- Go to Stock - Products.
- Click Create Product.
- Fill in all relevant information. Assign an Alcohol Type if applicable to the product.
- On the second step (Set up Sales Details) assign the Duty Category and Plato Value followed by all other mandatory fields (*).
The Duty Categories are:
E - Your own production when the product is brewed in your brewery and beer tax is paid by you.
L - Contract beer brewed in your brewery for someone else, and they pay the beer tax.
F - Beer brewed for you in another contract brewery and beer tax is paid by you.
M - Beer products mixed with non-alcoholic drinks or with beer from external production.
A - Volume of your own beer (Cat E above) used in the mixed beer category mentioned above.
- Go to Stock - Materials.
- Click Create Material.
- If applicable, assign the alcohol type. This will then give you the Duty Category field to fill in.
- Go to Contacts - Outlets.
- Click Create Outlet.
- Fill out all relevant information.
- On step three (Add Invoicing Details), assign the Default Movement Category.
Default Movement Category options:
Steuerpflichtig - Taxable beer taken out of a tax warehouse.
Versteuertes Ruckbier - Already taxed beer, brought back into the tax warehouse.
zu versteuern - Total taxable amount
Unentgeltlicher Haustrunk - Non-taxable beer taken out of a tax warehouse, given to employees.
unversteuert an andere Steuerlager im Steuergebiet abgegeben - Non-taxable beer, taken out of this tax warehouse and shipped to another tax warehouse in Germany.
unversteuert an andere Steuerlager in anderen Mitgliedstaaten abgegeben - Non-taxable beer, taken out of this tax warehouse and shipped to another tax warehouse in the EU.
Sonstige Abgänge - Other non-taxable beer.
Unversteuert zurückgenommenes Bier - Previously non-taxed beer brought back into the tax warehouse.
This can be changed later, in the outlet’s Finance tab.
All of these categories can be Amended inside of Orders, Stock Transfers, Credit Notes and Purchase Orders.
*If you need help creating orders please follow this link: How to Enter Orders
When creating orders you can change these fields also.
To make changes to an order, the product must be set as an order line
- Click on the Actions button (3-Dots).
- Click View/Edit Product Info.
You can make changes to any of these categories here.
Creating Stock Transfers:
*If you need help creating a stock transfer please follow this link: How to Manage Stock - Transfers and Adjustments
- Click Actions on the product to be amended, followed by Edit.
- Change any of the following if needed. Qty, Plato Value or Duty Category.
Creating Credit Notes:
*If you need help creating credit notes please follow this link: How to Create Credit Notes
- You can make changes when adding a Product onto the Credit Note through the Prompt that appears.
- If the product is already on the Credit Note, click Actions on the relevant product.
- Click Edit Line and here you can change Plato and Duty Category.
- Click Save.
Once you have saved the edit to the product(s);
- Click Next - More.
- This will open up the field to change the Default Duty Movement Category.
- Click Save.
Viewing Duty Audits and Submitting Duty Returns:
To view your Duty Audit for a specific return month go to Duty - German Beer Duty Returns. Alternatively go to Duty Audit.
When inside of the duty audit you will be able to select your Report Period. This will show you the audit for that time period.
You can Filter information provided and Manage Columns from the top of the page. This allows the information shown to be customised to your relevance.
German Beer Duty Returns:
To access your Beer Duty Return, go to Duty - German Beer Duty Returns.
- Click Create German Beer Duty Return.
- Select the From Date and To Date.
- Click Save. (This will then create a Duty Return for this time period).
- Clicking Edit on the Duty Return will allow you to change the Date Period. You can also access the Duty Audit for this time period on the return by clicking View Audit. (Shown in the picture below).
- Click Submit Return when the duty is complete for the month, this will bring a prompt up to tell you that this cannot be undone. You will need to Tick the two boxes before being able to submit this return. These are telling you that figures will not be able to be changed, and alterations will need to be entered as Under or Overdeclarations on the next Duty Return.
Import names for Duty category:
*Cell name in Excel = German Beer Duty Product Type
E. = OwnBrewedBeer_E
F. = BrewedBy3rdPartyForUs_F
L. = BrewedByUsFor3rdParty_L
M. = MixedProduct_M
Import names for Default Movement Category:
*Cell name in Excel = German Beer Duty Movement Type
1. Steuerpflichtig = DutiableRemoval
4. Unentgeltlicher Haustrunk = DutyExemptRemovalForEmployees
5. Unversteuert an andere Steuerlager im Steuergebiet abgegeben = DutySuspendedRemovalStayingInGermany
6. Unversteuert an andere Steuerlager in anderen Mitgliedstaaten abgegeben = DutyExemptRemovalGoingToEU
7. Sonstige Abgänge = OtherDutyExemptRemoval